The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Diaper Rash

I am now dealing with major diaper rash with my baby! It hurts to have to look at it. I have been using warm washrags on her cute little bum, drying it off and pouring diaper rash cream on it, which seems to be doing absolutely nothing at all!!!! I am accusing the cause of the diaper rash to the Amoxacillin she is on for her ear infection. We have only two more days of that and hopefully the diaper rash will go away fast! I don't know how much more screaming I can take every diaper change (which ends up being every 1/2 hour or hour). Does anyone have some diaper rash secret? How can I soothe my baby girl?

4 comments:

  1. Every time Cami had raisins before she was like 15 months old, she would get an insanely terrible diaper rash. Besides those instances, she never really had any diaper rash issues to speak of. When it would happen though, she would scream and cry for at least half an hour after every change, and wouldn't want to be put down OR held. It was quite a challenge...

    We usually use Butt Paste for her mild rashes, which we love, but it seemed like some of the other creams worked better for this more serious rash. Balmex or something like it, I believe. Anyway...Cami never took amoxicillin, but I believe my friend's little girl had the same reaction to it, and I just searched online and found several articles about amoxicillin causing diaper rashes and how if you know your child is prone to it, then you should pre-treat their bum with a prescription anti-fungal cream before even starting the medicine. A little late now...but at least now you know for next time. And maybe if the rash continues, you could call doc. and get a prescription for some cream. :) Sorry for the long answer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Cooper, we use Aquaphore. It is WONDERFUL! It has the same consistency as petrolium jelly, and is super gentle. We even put it on his face when his face gets dry from the Utah winter. It clears both his dipaper rash and dry skin right up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard from multiple and reliable sources that Aquaphor is the best treatment for diaper rash.

    ReplyDelete