The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Food Detectives

Just the other day I was drinking out of my water bottle and as my water was almost gone the myth entered my mind that I am now only drinking my saliva. So, slightly grossed out I dumped out the rest of the water and refilled my water bottle. Then this morning on "Food Detectives" on the food channel they actually addressed this exact myth. They tested two water bottles, one person drank from the bottle, the other from the straw. They stopped them from drinking their water when there was just a little bit left on the bottom and did some ph testing on it. The outcome was that it didn't matter whether you drank from the bottle or the straw, you would only have 2% saliva in the last centimeter or so of water...what a relief! I can handle 2% saliva over 90%. So...from here on out I will be enjoying my full bottle of water. Thank you food detectives!
(I'm guessing the outcome would be drastically different if my baby was drinking from my bottle also, only because I can see all of the lovely backwash that is floating around after her swallow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment