The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

To all the Mothers in the world

Last night I went to the movie "Julie & Julia" with my mother-in-law. I was somewhat skeptical as we were the only people in the whole theater. We of course were late, and missed the beginning of the movie, but as soon as I sat down and got comfortable I knew I would love the movie. Why? Because it is my life! I LOVE to EAT!!!!! Not only do I love to eat, but I pride myself in my cooking skills and if my husband ever reaches for the salt and pepper then I know I did not season it correctly. My husband will then hear me explain to him that "My meals can stand on their own two feet!" Except for the periodic meals that don't...Anyways the movie was great! Unfortunately I cannot suggest it to others to watch because the swear words in the movie were terrible. There I was innocently siting in the theater chair, fully enjoying the movie and then diarrhea of the mouth starts coming out of the actors. Why, when the story line is so adorable do they have to ruin a movie with such ugly, vulgar language! I would have loved to watch this movie with my Mother and Sister, because they also would have loved it and been inspired. But, as I know I would feel ridiculous sitting next to them as those words start pummeling out of the big screen, I believe I will save myself the embarrassment of having suggested for them to watch it.
Besides the vulgarity I walked out of "Julie & Julia" inspired!! I must find something I love (beside's food) that might interest others, and yes, I did find something I love. I LOVE being a MOTHER! (Yes, I do). Why? Well, that is what I am hoping this blog will help me understand better. I have only been a mother for 7 short months, they have been short because I think time sped up as soon as I gave birth to my beautiful daughter. Ever since I could walk, talk, and imagine, I have dream't of being a Mother. I knew that I would be a natural at it. Full of patience, love, and long suffering. Being a Mother was going to be easy and fun...and then I became one. I sobbed on my way home from the hospital, while I sat next to my beautiful baby girl in the backseat of the car. I felt totally overwhelmed and realized that I knew nothing about being a Mom! I was very overwhelmed for months, and still am with all of the responsibilities that come with this wonderful, and yet difficult calling! How do you cook an amazing dinner, that won't need any added Salt and Pepper when your baby is screaming at your feet to be held, or sitting on your toes so that you can't get the butter out of the fridge? How do you have energy to entertain your husband when he gets home from work and needs attention, when you yourself achieved nothing that day, and have been so excited for him to come home so that you can hand the baby over to him, and get going on your list! How do make time to stop, meditate, and be in total contentment.
I have been thinking of this blog for months now, and feel that I have got to get started, I am hoping that someone out there will enjoy it and be refreshed from reading it. I feel that one of the greatest thing I can have to help me through this life, as a Woman, Wife, and Mother is a support group of ladies who have been there, who are there or at some time will be. I Love being a Mother! I have never in my life to this point experienced so much Love, Joy and Rejoicing over anything else in the world. I am so grateful for my new calling in life and hope to exceed.
So today's question is: How long after an expiration date are things still good to eat? I ran out of cereal this morning, so I grabbed my Fiber One bar and pulled out the milk jug to fill up my glass. I realized as I was pouring it that it expired on October 7th. I smelt the milk, and it did not stink, so I put the cap back on and put it in the fridge, and then enjoyed my glass of milk. Should I throw out the milk jug today, or use it up quickly!? What do you find you run out of the most in your cupboards? What is a good food to always keep on hand?

7 comments:

  1. I had the same question about milk. So I asked my friend who worked in the dairy dept at a grocery store. He told me that that date is the sell by date, the milk will still last a few days after that date as long as it hasn't sat out of the fridge for long periods of time. As for me, as long as it doesn't smell bad, have chunks in it, and tastes good I'll still drink it. I don't want to waste it.

    I run out of cream of mushroom soup the most. We use that so much for almost anything we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog Amber....I never look at the expiration date...The key thing in food storage is rotate. Tough lesson I have learned as of late though; powdered milk and oil do not have a long shelf life so if anyone needs any of either in the next few months call me I have too much on hand:) ooops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an expired milk-o-phobe. I will only drink it one day after the expiration date. It usually doesn't make it that far though, we drink a LOT of milk around our house. I usually have to make a mid-week grocery trip just for milk. I know that it's stupid, but that's me.

    I love the blog. I will definitely keep up with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! I use to be an expired milk o phobe like Laura, but now I will drink it as long as it doesn't smell bad. :) We run out of milk and cheese the fastest. Oh, and cream of chicken soup. Love the blog. I will be keeping up with it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motherhood is overwhelming but you are wonderful at it! I hope to someday be as patient and soft spoken as you are. My milk also expired today but I'm also willing to drink until it smells! We run out of goldfish crackers and cream of chicken soup most often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it doesn't smell bad drink it.
    CHOCOLATE!!!!
    And Motherhood is great fun, and the hardest job you'll ever do, BUT the most rewarding! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Sista! I loved reading your entry and look forward to more! Being a mother is pretty amazing! As for expiration dates, it totally depends on the item... I usually rely on my senses-- vision, smell, and then a small taste if unsure, and make the decision. As for food to have on hand, I'm with Trish... Chocolate!! It's a happy food! :)

    ReplyDelete