The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Comfort Food

Fall is definitely in the air! The weather seemed to have changed almost over night! One day I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the next I'm in warm sweat pants (my husbands favorite pair, which is now mine because he say's I have "Girlified" them), and an over sized sweater. Something about the fall makes me seek comfort! Probably because of the impending doom of Winter being just around the corner. (I actually like Winter, except for January, January is usually unbearably long .) I find that food is very comforting through out the coldness. I have quite a few favorite comfort foods for different times of the year. Right now I am in the comfort food category of soup. I have began to make soup two or three times a week already, and I love it. I am not sick of it. Perhaps because I have not had soup for a few months as it did not fit into the season. I have many favorite soups here is one I would love to share with you. I promise, if you make it you will LOVE it! Do you have any Fall comfort foods? Please share them with me! I love trying out new recipe's!

Harvest Hodge Podge Soup
2 lbs Hamburger Or shredded chicken
1 lrg. onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cans Campbells Minestrone soup

3 soup cans of water

28 oz. diced tomatoes
2 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 (31 oz) can Pork & Beans
2 cups chopped celery

3 zucchini, sliced, & quartered
1 can whole kernel corn
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP Sugar
2 yellow squash (opt)


Brown Meat with onion & garlic. Add all the ingredients into a large soup pan and simmer for 20 Min. Salt and Pepper to taste.
You can put this in the crock pot to cook all day if you wish.


1 comment: