The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Victoria Sponge Sandwich Cake (from Ron)


This cake is one of 4 cakes that were specially delivered to Harry the summer Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley were put on a strict diet. While Dudley starved in the kitchen, Harry was enjoying his delicious Hidden food upstairs. Harry received a birthday cake from Ron, Hermoine, Hagrid and Sirius. This cake happens to be what Bucholz imagined Ron would have sent harry. (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Ch. 3)
This cake was fun to make. I had my little helper near by to help me throw in the flour, whip up the sugar and butter and to crack the eggs. The batter was delicious and I was very excited to see the final product! This cake was cooked in two 8 inch round cake pans. Then cooled all the way and per the instructions it was only supposed to have raspberry jam spread in the middle layer and have powdered sugar and cool whip on top. Since I love sugar I added a layer of raspberry in the middle and on the top, along with some dabs of cool whip. This was an especially important cake to bake last night because we were having visitors that we could share it with, which is always fun! Dr. McOmber was coming over to give us the final Autopsy report and my parents and Brian's parents were also going to be there. This cake is a dense cake and it says to have it with a cup of tea. Which, is on the menu this week, but because of how many people were coming we just drank it with milk and a few Oreo's on the side...because everyone needs a little chocolate in their life's. Everyone seemed to really enjoy this cake. I have to warn you though that it is not a light, fluffy cake, which is what I love. So rating it is kind of hard for me, but I would probably give this recipe a 4.
English History: "This is the simplest of cakes, yet elegant and delicious. It's called Victoria Sponge because the famous queen of that name used to have a slice with her tea. The name "sponge" is misleading because its actually a dense, rich cake, not an airy, fluffy sponge"(The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook, Bucholz, pg. 17).
Grief Help: Autopsy = "We Don't Know." I am still trying to decide whether I am comforted by this diagnosis or not. Its definitely fitting though and we are not surprised by knowing our little Ruby and her amazing way of keeping the doctors stumped, confused and as Dr. Mascio put it so eloquently once, "She's pissing me off!" And we just smiled at that statement because Ruby truly was doing just that to everyone. But, through her ability to "piss us off," she wrapped everyone she knew around her little finger and I believe that no one left her room without falling in love with our little gem. I realized last night after talking with Doctor McOmber and our parents that Ruby isn't just mine and Brian's baby girl, she is everyone's baby girl and she has left a legacy. Dr. McOmber told us that since Ruby he has seen a change in Dr. Mascio. He see's him as a more loving, compassionate doctor with his patients, instead of his surgery's being a routine thing, he see's them each as an individual case that may or may not follow the school books. Ruby of course has Dr. McOmber wrapped around her finger. She is his little girl and he looks forward to seeing her it seems just as much as we do in our next life! He told us that Brian and I have made his working place a little more comfortable and have a little more understanding of who he is and what he believes. He had opportunities to participate more in his and our religion as we asked him to help us as we gave Ruby Priesthood blessings. (We belong to The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.)
Some how Dr. McOmber claims that Brian and I made a positive impact on the doctors and nurses. I guess the night Ruby passed away we handled it better than a lot of parents have in the past. I'm not sure what we did differently but we were appreciative that night for all of the doctors and nurses who put so much time and effort into trying to help heal our baby Ruby.
The reason we did an autopsy on Ruby was so that we could know what exactly took her life, because the night she passed away her heart function seemed to be doing just fine. We also wanted to do it in case the doctors could learn something from Ruby and improve another childs chances at life. Apparently the pathologists and doctors had a hard time agreeing about what was going on. We were told at Ruby's funderal that she passed away from something called an Aspergillus Fungus. And after an intense search and cleansing of the hospital and its vents and a closer look at Ruby's autopsy they decided that Ruby did not have that. After a lot of discussion over Ruby's heart the doctors decided that they did everything right for Ruby. Her heart function was fine, she didn't have any blood clots, there was no bleeding on her brain. The pathologists are saying that Ruby's right lung had dead tissue in it and caused bleeding to come into her lungs. The doctors seems to think that that happened after Ruby passed away though because they did daily x-rays that would have shown that something was going on there.
We all had to chuckle a bit because this sort of analysis on Ruby's passing did not surprise us all too much. That was how every day of our lives with Ruby went, not quite knowing what was going on or what needed to be done. Dr. McOmber said that Ruby has been the most complicated autopsy that he has ever had to work with in his whole career so far. I think it all boils down to the fact that Ruby was sent to earth for a purpose, and she fulfilled that purpose within her 24 days of life and God called her home. In fact I honestly believe that she begged him for just a little more time on earth and her wish was granted, twice.
I guess our wish for doing the autopsy was granted in that the doctors did learn a few things from Ruby, and have been able to use them on a few heart cases. The "Ruby Phenomenon" has not been forgotten.
I miss my baby girl so much my heart just aches, but she is not here, hurting any more and I know that someday I will get to hold her again and I look forward to that very, very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment