The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cauldron Cakes



Ok so the recipe's actual title is "Big, Fluffy Pancakes" but to me they did not turn out big and fluffy. They actually ended up being rather flat and I thought of them more as being a crepe than a pancake. Perhaps in Europe and in the wizarding world crepe's are big and fluffy. The recipe was very fun to make though because I was able to pull out my new Juicer I got for Christmas to get the juice out of the Lemon for the recipe. This recipe calls for lemon zest and lemon juice so I was expecting a lemon flavor, but I really couldn't taste the lemon in the cakes. We had some fresh, homemade peach jam in the fridge that one of our friends brought us for Christmas. So we slathered that on the pancakes and sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. We also drank fresh squeezed orange juice, thanks to my juicer! All of these things added together my husband claims that the dinner was a 4 on a scale of 1-5. I'm thinking probably 3, I don't think I would go out of my way to pull out the recipe to make for guests, unless we are just wanting to cook something from the Harry Potter Cookbook.
The cookbook has a little blurb about the history of pancakes that I thought was cute. Basically, Housewives would frantically try to us up all their Butter, milk, and cream by lent. So they would fry up stacks and stacks of pancakes. "One legend has a housewife flipping pancakes while running to church to be shriven (recieve penance for her sins). So Shrove Tuesday became known as Pancake Day, a day when pancake-eating contests are still held. Women in some towns race to church while carrying frying pans filled with pancakes. The prize? A prayer book."
"The unofficial Harry potter cookbook," Dinah Bucholz, pg. 41.
Even though I am posting this on Wednesday I did make sure to cook them last night, in honor of Pancake Day. Maybe I will make Tuesday night dinners be pancakes from here on out. See, first recipe I have cooked from the book and it is already inspiring me:)
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment