The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tea: How to Make a Proper Cuppa


Tea is brought up many times in the Harry Potter books. "The invitation to "come over and have a cuppa" comes from "have a cup o 'tea." ("The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 36.) I am not a tea person, so I wasn't too sure how much I would enjoy this one. I had some Raspberry tea packets and borrowed my Mom's cute tea pot and I attempted to make a "Proper Cuppa." I love the sound of the tea pot whistling when the pot gets hot. It made Rosie nervous and she covered her ears. I poured a cup for my Mom, Mr. B and I. We put a bit of sugar in our cups and gave it a try. It wasn't so bad, but I think I will stick with my Hot Chocolate. I will give this a ranking of 3, just because I am probably not going to make tea again any time soon.
English History: "This most Brisitsh of all drinks arrived in the 1600's from China and quickly replaced ale as the national drink. Tradition credits the Duchess of Bedford (1800's) with starting the tradition of afternoon tea. She got very hungry waiting from her noon dinner to her nine o'clock supper. So at around four in the afternoon, she would sneak some food and tea. Later on she came out in the open and invited some ladies for tea and sweet delicacies and gossip. This caught on quickly among the higher class, who becan to have tea with scones and jam or with pastries and delicate sandwiches, such as the cucumber sandwiches." ("The Unnoficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 36.)
Grief Help: It was nice to sit at my kitchen table and sip on some tea and visit with Mr. B and my Mom. I like how tea slows life down a bit, and makes you stop to just think and breath in the yummy aroma of Raspberry. Since Ruby has passed away I feel that I have allowed myself to slow down. Before I felt I had to constantly be going and doing something or hanging out with someone. My mind frame from High School had not really changed, although I have been graduated from High School for 10 years now. I guess loosing Ruby helped me "graduate" from my need to always be doing something. I now stop at the cemetery to visit Ruby, as the cars rush by me I think, I remember, I cry some and I also smile some. I take time to stop cleaning my home or cooking dinner so that I can read to my little Rose or snuggle her on the couch while we watch a movie. I take time to sit in my comfy chair and just think. I take time to visit with Mr. B and have found a new joy and appreciation for him being in my life, as one of my greatest strengths.
I have thought of the Mary and Martha story in the bible. I suppose I have always been a Martha trying to serve and do everything. From my experience of loosing Ruby I have discovered there are weeks and days and hours when all you can do to make it through is sit at the feet of the Lord, like Mary, and hold on for dear life, praying that you can make it through and receiving strength from Him. I read a quote this week that I wanted to share on here. The author is unknown. It reads: "Pain stayed so long I said to him today, "I will not have you with me any more." I stamped my foot and said, "Be on your way," And paused there, startled at the look he wore. "I, who have been your friend," he said to me, "I, who have been your teacher-all you know of understanding love, of sympathy, And patience, I have taught you. Shall I go?" He spoke the truth, this strange unwelcome guest; I watched him leave, and knew that he was wise. He left a heart grown tender in my breast. He left a far, clear vision in my eyes. I dried my tears, and lifted up a song-Even for one who'd tortured me so long."

No comments:

Post a Comment