The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Honeydukes Sugar Mice


This is one of the Honeyduke treats that Harry sneaks through the cellar. ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," Ch. 10)The wonderful thing is there are many more treats to be made this year! This is actually a fondant recipe and you can keep it in your fridge for up to two months. I made a mouse with it because that is what they were in Harry Potter, but Rose's birthday is coming up and I think I will be using some fondant on her birthday cake! It actually was really easy to work with and I am excited to use it again. It also tastes like a yummy frosting. Mr. B said that the cuteness of my mouse is a 5. Thanks babe:) I think this could be a really fun recipe to have when I want to try out some fondant on cupcakes etc. I was actually thinking this would be fun for Halloween if you colored the fondant black. It could look somewhat realistic. While I was forming my mouse I kept thinking about how much I hate mice and that I am actually a bit freaked out from my own creation! Thank goodness the mouse recipe is behind me:)
English History: Making fondant animals out of fondant is a popular activity for British children. (I actually might give some to Rose to play with like play dough. I think she would have fun with it, and its edible!)
Grief Help: Today is the two month date of Ruby's passing away. It has been a hard day! We woke up on edge, even Rosie. Rose was saying she missed Ruby all morning and that she wanted to see her. Rose would get mad at me and tell me to not talk, and then within the same breath say she needs a hug...my hormonal 2 year old keeps me on my toes! My wonderful friend and photographer sent me some pictures from Ruby's celebration services I wanted to share with you all. They are so beautiful! She is so talented! I have so many beautiful memories with family, friends and Ruby right after she passed away. The bitter memory is that she passed away. I just go back there in my mind, holding her when she left us and there are so many emotions that are attached to that memory!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I LOVE the mouse! Nice work! And you're right, those pictures are beautiful! You're still in my prayers, and I still miss you like crazy! Every time I bust out my guitar, I think of you!

    ReplyDelete