The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Professor Slughorns Apple Crumble Pie


Professor Slughorn passes around an assortment of pies during his "Slug Club" party on the Hogwarts Express. ("Harry Potter and the half blood Prince", Ch. 7) This is one of four pie recipes. I will be making another one of the pies this upcoming week. Mr. B gave this a 4 and I give it a 5. I really enjoyed how unique these pies were and the taste was wonderful. You use two types of apples, Braeburn and Granny Smith, so you get a yummy mix of tartness. They are mini pies also, so you make them in cupcake tins, which I have never done before. They were so cute! I am not a fan of apple pies which is why I chose to make this one first, but I really truly enjoyed it! This would be fun to make for any gathering you might have. It was easy and yummy and even the homemade crust turned out delicious!
English History: " During World War II, home cooks simply didn't have enough flour to make a whole pies, so thrifty and resourceful English housewives came up with a way to make do with less." They came up with the "Fruit Crumble, generally called "crisp" in the U.S." This is how the crumble was born. 'This recipe would have been too extravagant during the Second World War, as it calls for both a botto crust and a crumble topping." (The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 46.)
Grief Help:There is something about making a pie that makes me happy. I think it may just be because I have a rolling pin in hand and the anxiousness of any pie maker who is not sure how the pie will turn out, but hoping that is will be amazing! I guess that is how I hope my life to be. Someday when I sit on my front porch in my rocking chair I hope to look back on life on smile. I was reading through some of my previous posts before little Miss Ruby was born and actually felt ashamed of what I had written. I wrote something to the effect that I wish I could go back and undo what had been done, meaning my pregnancy. That was so very, very selfish of me! I can honestly say that though this road has been the most difficult I have ever had to walk down, (actually I think I am being carried down it, because there is no way I could walk this path of life) I would do it all again in a heart beat! As Mr. B and I sat holding our little Ruby a short time after she had passed away I looked at him and told him "I would take a million of these!" So what have I learned from this heart wrenching experience? If I ever find out that I have the opportunity of carrying an infant with any sort of disability I will rejoice instead of cry, because I know that along with the heart ache and grief will come the greatest amount of Love and Joy that any human being can experience! I truly will take a million of those experience's, even though the recovery is long, and hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment