The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

English Fried Eggs and a Gammon of Bacon




Aunt Petunia darkly warned Harry "Not to burn Breakfast!" (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Chapter 2) oops...She would have sent me back to the cupboard under the stairs for the rest of the day. I have a good excuse though, I got distracted while making my freshly squeezed apple juice to go along with breakfast and totally blackened my turkey bacon. Bacon is frustrating to me because it seems to take forever to get crisp. Since it was taking so long I turned my back for a minute and when I turned around again it was too late to save them!
This morning Rose helped me cook the bacon and Eggs. I used Turkey bacon because I am doing a "biggest looser" competition with my family right now and am trying to cut back some on the fat. If you are wondering I looked up what gammon means and according to Google it is a smoked or cured ham. This recipe calls for 2 rashers of bacon and apparently rashers are slices if you are a true English person. I blackened my first 2 rashers of bacon so decided to make 2 more to perfection. I put a bit of butter in the pan for the eggs since I used turkey bacon (I guess I might as well have just used normal bacon since I did that.) I cooked my eggs to over-easy. I like the yoke still runny. I did scrambled eggs for Rose. While we were eating I asked Rose on a scale from 1 to 5 which one she would choose. She told me 5, and said Delicious! with a big smile on her face. We will be using this recipe again, the 2 year old likes it:)Here is the English History on this meal: "Eggs and bacon doesn't sound very posh, but some 400 years ago, it was the "breakfast of Queens." Henrietta Maria, Queen Consort of England and wife of King Charles I, would finish off a fancy breakfast with a simple dish of poached eggs and bacon.""The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook", Dinah Bucholz, pg. 3
How it helped with Grieving:
I was excited of course to throw together another authentic European/Wizarding meal. It was sweet to cook with Rose. She had one spoon in her hand and helped me whip up her scrambled eggs, and she threw the apples in my juicer, which a couple times I didn't have time to put the cover over the top and the apples would fly out of the juicer and onto the floor. Luckily none of them hit us!
I have started to work out every day this week and that has really helped with my built up emotions. I still visited Ruby at the cemetery, twice yesterday, and cried to God while I was praying and cried a bit more while I was trying to sleep. The clock time was close to 12:55 a.m. which is when Ruby went "Home". I have not cried yet today, though I have looked at pictures of me holding my little Ruby, and she melted my heart! I miss those chubby, little, kissable cheeks! I only have a few pictures holding her since she was in such critical care for her 3 weeks of life, so these pictures are very, very cherished moments!




2 comments:

  1. Amber, I am so happy you are blogging again! I love your writing and I've missed reading this blog. I'm excited to hear about all the recipes! This reminds me of Julie and Julia! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet picture of you and Ruby!

    ReplyDelete