The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chicken and Mushroom Pies

This is another one of Professor Slughorns "Slug Club," pies. These were very yummy. As you can tell I tried slicing into mine so you could see what the inside looked like, but you still can't really tell. The flavor of this little pie is delicious, both the crust and the filling. Mr. B said that he would love to have it again and gave it a 4.5 rating. I love making these miniature little pies! It is so fun and they are so adorable!
English History: "Medieval pies were filled with all sorts of food thrown together, like a magpie's collection, hence the name pie. Today we try to stick to a theme, so we have "chicken and mushroom pie" and not "chicken and mushroom and apples and whipped cream and oats and raisins and cinnamon and black pepper." ("The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 42.
Grief Help: As I was throwing this meal together tonight Mr. B was giving Rose a bath in her tub upstairs. It was so cute to hear their conversation and my happy little girls voice. Rose has been singing all week and it has been beautiful! I count my blessing that I have these two lovely people in my life, and one lovely spirit in Heaven. Mr. B and I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" last night(Brian's first time reading it) and we enjoyed it so much. Dumbledor say's in this book, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" (pg. 214). I love that statement. I think I might put it above my head. I have been doing A LOT of "dreaming" since Ruby has passed away. Dreaming of "what if's," and "why's" and sometimes forgetting that today is a blessing. That was a lesson I learned from Ruby, that I seem to forget so easily. If she could have spoken I think her message to me would be, "Mommy, enjoy every day, each day is a blessing and fight for every second you get on earth! This is a great place to be." Something I saw in both of my daughters bright eye's right after they were born was a fascination with life, and it seemed as if they didn't want to sleep so that they wouldn't miss a thing. I especially saw this trait in Ruby. The doctors would try so hard to get her knocked out and still she would manage to wiggle her hands, her feet or keep at least one eye open. I suppose if I knew I only had 24 days to live I would do the same, not want to miss a thing. So for Ruby, I promise to live every day, and be thankful for every day that God gives me. I will try to not overly dream of being with Ruby again someday, and God...

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading all your posts, Amber. I really love them. Sometimes I just skip to the Grief Help part because it uplifts me so much. To see you dealing with your trials so graceful helps me to not sweat any small stuff. You are an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete