The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Molly's Meatballs with Onion Sauce




This is Mrs. Molly Weasley's recipe. Mr. Weasley bumped into Kingsley Shacklebolt on the morning of Harry's hearing. Mr. Weasley whispers to Shacklebolt that Mrs. Weasley is serving meatballs for dinner if he wants to stop by (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Ch. 7). My Mom and I had to make a last minute Harry Potter dinner change. So, instead of making the "Chicken and Mushroom Pie" we opted for "Molly's Meatballs with Onion Sauce," pg. 83. It was delicious! I love meatballs and so of course these were fabulous to me. I added chopped mushrooms and a bit of chopped garlic to the meatballs and the sauce because they sounded good last night. I also added a can of cream of chicken soup to the Onion Sauce and a few mushrooms. When I make this meal again I will probably saute the onions that are in the meatball mixture before putting it in with the meat, just to make sure they aren't still crunchy. I'm giving this recipe a 5 because I do plan on making it again!
English History: "Forcemeat is an old fashioned word for meatballs...in fact you might still find it called this in British cookbooks" ("The Unnofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 83).
Grief Help: It has been one of those weeks where you just feel somewhat empty. I don't know how else to explain the feelings I have had. I keep feeling like I should be cradling Ruby on my shoulder, or snuggling with my Ruby after Rose is down for bed at night. Or she should be up with us watching a late night movie...It has also been hard because along with feeling like I should be holding a baby right now comes the feeling that Ruby never happened. This really is weird to me, and it scares me a bit. I will be explaining to someone that a few of my friends have two or three children and I just have one. Then after saying that, I have little Ruby whisper in my ear that I have two daughters, not one. I guess its hard because her physical body is not here with us, and its not that I'm forgetting her, its just that I don't know how she fits into our family structure right now. I guess her role for us is Guardian Angel. We bought an Angel that we put on top of our Christmas tree this year that is holding Ruby's picture in her hands. I didn't have the heart to pack the Angel away with all of our other Christmas stuff so the "Ruby Angel" is sitting on top of our fireplace mantel, and will probably be there for a long, long time. At least until next Christmas when she will be moved back to the top of our Christmas tree. As far as dealing with the stupor of remembering that I was a good Mother to my little Ruby for her short time on earth, I went back through the pictures of her that I have on my cell phone. I picked out one where I am holding her and smiling, and she is sleeping with her mouth open. Of course she was intubated, but she could have closed her mouth. She slept just like her Mommy, just she didn't slobber all over herself:) Ruby was such a Beautiful baby girl! I wish I could have seen her grow, she would have been just as beautiful as Rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment