The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Male PMS


Yesterday I went and got my hair cut, which is always something that I look forward too! I was enjoying my visit with the hair stylist when she brought up the topic of how her husband woke up that morning in a very onery mood, and proceeded to grip and complain all morning and act out irrationally. She got to work somewhat perturbed because lets be honest if one person in the couple is feeling crummy they usually tend to share that emotion with the other one. Of course a few hours later she had a chance to check her phone and her husband had apologized for his behavior earlier that morning and was know begging for forgiveness.
The reason I bring this up is because I experienced the Male PMS earlier this week and know of a couple other friends who have been having a particularly hard time with there husbands right now. I feel that the best way to understand why all of this is happening is because of the above stated issue.
Now, the problem with Male PMS is that it always catches me off guard. I will be going along happy in life and suddenly my cowboy wakes up or comes home from work in a no good, very bad mood and suddenly I have to figure out how to fix the problem or make it better, which adds one more thing to figure out because at the same time I am trying to figure out why my baby is screaming and crying. So, I attempt to try using every happy thought I can come up with and even hum a favorite happy song, and then my husband will say something to me that puts me over the edge and he has succeeding at making two miserable people and a screaming baby. Within minutes the happy home turns to the turmoil home when no one really honestly knows exactly why.
After my husbands last PMS episode we had a very good talk and he informed me that all I needed to do is stop what I'm doing, take a moment to sit on the couch with him and ask him "What is bothering you? Can I do anything to alleviate your stress." Which, yes seems like such an easy way to solve the conflict, but for some reason I struggle to remember what I am supposed to do, because I am always caught off guard by this strange behavior. So, the solution is: the next time your husband has a Male PMS moment, before you start to freak out with him be sure to take a moment to run your fingers through his hair (if he has any) and let him know that you absolutely adore him and that you are there for him when he is ready to talk about it. Perhaps the issues will be able to be worked through a bit quicker then they have been in the past.
What do you do whey your husband is in a bad mood? How do you handle the conflict?

1 comment:

  1. When mine has his bouts of PMS, it's usually because he's hungry. So I feed him something yummy, and that usually does the trick! :)

    ReplyDelete