The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Friday, April 23, 2010

Safety and Self-Defense


I have started a little group in my church and community called "Knowledge is Power." Once a month I have a guest speaker, or someone with a cool hands on craft that will teach a lesson to my friends/neighbors. It has been a blast so far! This is my third month doing it. We have learned how to make baby boy/girl beanies, the power of a budget and also the power of safety and self-defense. These courses have been sooooo fun for me! My husband is getting his MBA right now so I am trying to keep up with him with learning new and important things. (Of course all of my materials deal more with keeping a home and crafting, but this is much more fun then taking accounting, technology and economic classes.) Last nights topic of course was "The Power of Safety and Self-Defense," and it was phenomenal! This subject is very important to me since I have had a creeper break into my home at 2 a.m. and creep into my room and stair at me while my husband and I were in bed. This was something that I thought would only happen in my worst nightmares. I never dreamt that someone would actually enter my home and refuge from the world. There is a member of my church who was a police man for 34 years in the LA, California Police force. Who better could I get to speak to us than that! Anyway's I took some notes and wanted to share them with you all, since safety should always be a priority wherever we may be!

SAFETY:
-An Alarm system in your home is very useful! (You don't have to spend money every month on an expensive system. Brian and I have an alarm system we bought at Wal-mart for around $25. It is on all of our windows and exit doors.)
-Tazer's
-Tear Gas (This doesn't expire for a few years. Aim for the attacker's Eye's)

Two Important things to remember:
BE ANGRY if someone comes after you. Don't worry about how your attacker will feel, you are the most important
BE AWARE of your surroundings
-Look around you, Retreat if you feel you are in danger
-This includes walking into a store, bank, gas station and to your car.
-Be Careful about where you park, It is a good idea to alway's park with the front of your car pointing out.
(pull through the parking spot)
-Alway's lock your car doors, and keep your key's in your hand with you. (Car jackings happen in Gas
stations)
-Keep one key poked out between your finger, if attacked poke the creeper in the eye. The creeper doesn't
care about you, so don't care about him.

-You can help keep others safe. When driving through a parking lot look around to see if anyone looks as
if they need help,or are in danger. You can help discourage attacks.
-Keep your cell phone charged so you can always use it.

Think ahead of time. Its best to do this before the incident happens. Be sure to think on your feet!

SELF-DEFENSE
What will you do in the situation of an attack?-Fear the worst.
How do you protect yourself?
-Pretend a sprained ankle and fall down.
-Pretend faint-be unconscious. Be like a possum. Play dead. Its better to be kicked then it is to be raped. Your goal is to not be mobile. You do not want to go with the creeper. DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOU AWAY!! Its good to go limp because the likely hood of them picking you up and carrying you to there car is less likely.
-If the creeper has a gun pointing at you but hasn't shot yet they probably won't want to, or are still formulating a plan, think quickly on your feet.

Guns to consider having for safety in your home:
Revolver-5 round
Hand gun automatic- hold more rounds, shoot to stop
Something to think about using guns for defense: You are not shooting to kill, you are shooting to stop the attack and protect yourself and your loved ones. Remember you do not need to be concerned about your attackers well being! He is there to hurt you and if you can get him first then you will be doing yourself and others who may be his victim a favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment