The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Will Work For Food"

Last night I was driving down main street in Logan, UT and saw an older man on the sidewalk holding a piece of cardboard that said "Will work for food." I was instantly hit with compassion and a desire to help, but because of my own safety and well being I had to keep driving. He looked like a decent man, I have no idea what road he has been down to be in this current situation, and I do not judge him harshly. Times are hard right now. It is so discouraging to me that I have had to succumb to current safety guildlines in America. Perhaps they are self-driven safety measures, but I feel to be able to make it I have to look out for myself and my family. So, I am sorry to the man I drove past last night, please forgive me for not being able to give, even though everything inside of me wants to help you out and give you the simple pleasures of life.
When I was in Salt Lake City the other day we were driving around and ended up passing a food Kitchen, with a line up of people outside of the doors, just needing food. This has alway's been something difficult for me to see. When I was younger if I ever saw someone on the side of a road with a sign I would litterally start crying for them, because I knew that they were hurting in some way. I guess the most I can give right now is a little money when the opportunity arises and a prayer that the Lord will watch over these people and take care of their needs. Do any of you have any stories or idea's to share when you see someone in need?

No comments:

Post a Comment