The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm leaving on an Airplane

I am leaving for a three week trip to Utah tomorrow morning with my 8 month old daughter. My husband will be flying out later for Thanksgiving. I have not flown solo with an 8 month old before and am very nervous, as she is VERY busy right now! I am trying to think up ways to distract her and keep her happy, and hopefully not annoy the passangers sitting around us. Does anyone have any flying with infants/children tips? I am needing advice!

3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing with Houston when he was 5 months old, then again when he was about 13 months... like you, by myself! It actually wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Just make sure she's got plenty of bottles (they really help during take off and landing), and stock up on little toys, etc. that are new to her. Also, if you're down with it, you can bring dum-dum suckers. That really kept Houston distracted! (Just make sure you also bring plenty of wipes!!).

    The other thing to try is children's benedryl. Houston's pediatrician suggested I try that, but said to test it on Houston a couple times in advance. I guess for some kids it makes them drowsy, but for some it gets them all wound up. Houston would get drowsy, but a few hours later he was SO cranky I decided not to bother with it. You also may want to check with Rose's pediatrician to see if he thinks that route is wise considering her age, and what the dose would be.

    Hope that helps!! And let me know when you'll be here and if you have time to spare so we can get together! I'd love it!!!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that with Cami, it was better to make her feel like she was in a carseat. I tried to keep my arms secure around her as much as possible. She would fight it at first, but then she'd settle down and just play in my lap. Before I figured that out, I let her get up and down and all around, and it was just awful for us both. I don't know if you have one of those straps that come with those grocery cart covers, but next time I'm going to bring mine and strap it around both of us so she is actually strapped to me. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to call you today about Scentsy, I babysat for Brandi today and completely forgot so I'll try tomorrow. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete