The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Warm and Hearty Mulligatawny Soup

This soup was one of the last meals eaten while Aunt Marge was visiting. Harry was so excited to have had an uneventful visit until he lost it and ended up blowing up Aunt Marge. This is what Bucholz thought was of the soup that was on the menu. (Harry Potter and teh Prisoner of Azkaban, Ch. 2.)
We really enjoyed this soup! Brian and I both gave it a 5. It was very convenient because I had everything I needed for it. It reminded me of a Hawaiian Haystack because you put a little bit of coconut on top of it. It also has rice and a sliced apple, celery, carrot and onion with Curry, Salt and Pepper as the spices. It was a fabulous blend of flavors! This soup was very delicious and definitely one that everyone should try it!
English History: "Only the British can take some Indian words and make it sound like a place in ireland. Mulligatawny is actually a combination of two Tamil words (Tamil is one of many Indian languages) that means "pepper" and "water." British officers during colonial times fell in love with this dish and brought it back to England from India.
Greif Help: I received a message today that one of my dear friends received some news at her ultrasound that her baby has some complications and is going in tomorrow for an amniocentesis. My heart just aches for them! Not because having a child with a disability is a bad thing, but it is a long, heartbreaking road, if their outcome ends up being like ours. When I read what was going on I was instantly taken back to last spring when we received our news, and was in shock, denial, and just uncertain of what was going on. I'm so glad its behind us and is something that I wish no one had to experience. Yet, when I was writing my friend an e-mail back I felt so much love her sweet little baby! And I just encouraged her to Love her baby, and love her pregnancy, because the second she see's her little one her heart will be filled with so much love and concern and I don't want her to regret not loving her baby from the start! When we did Ruby's Amniocentesis was kind of cute! They monitor it to make sure that the baby doesn't get poked. As soon as the needle was in Ruby noticed it and started trying to swim over to see who the intruder was! It was so darling and I knew that that I would have a curious, energetic baby girl! It was true, Ruby had to have her eye's open, taking in the world around her, and no amount of drugs seemed to keep her sleeping for too long! She was always moving something!
I wanted to tell my friend that everything will be okay and not to worry, but I can't do that because sometimes things are not okay and this is one of those situations. But, I can promise that the person you are the day you find out that your future is going to be different than you imagined you change. You are never the same, and it is a good change looking back on it. I'm so grateful for my heart breaking trials of last year! Mr. B and I walked through the fire of life and came out still breathing and a bit more refined. The experiences we have had will be cherished for the rest of our lives, and the memories are forever carried in our hearts! Since tears will be coming tonight, my tears will be for you my dear friend and also my prayers are headed your way!

1 comment: