The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Roast Beef of Old England




Ron chows down of his Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding while ranting over the fact that leprechaun gold is fake (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Ch. 28) This Roast was very Yummy! I was actually a bit apprehensive about it at first because all it calls for is a roast, 3 Tablespoons of salt and 1 Tablespoon of pepper! That is ALOT of s & p! As I was rubbing it into the roast I was intrigued with how it would taste, and of course is came out delicious! I forgot to take a picture before the roast was cut up, so sorry you can't see the whole finished product. I cooked this as part of our super bowl party last Sunday. We decided to cook it in the crock pot instead of the oven, just for convenience sake. My Moms crock pot has a meet thermometer on it and we cooked it until is was cooked to medium. I give this recipe a 5 and will so be making it again. I was actually surprised that we didn't have to put any water or broth in with the roast before cooking it. It truly was just the 3 items!
English History: "The English developed a reputation for excellence in roasting beef. Roast beef is so iportnat to the Britons that they even have a song about it called "The Roast Beef of Old England," which in turn inspired a famous painting of someone holding a huongous chunk of raw beef. INerestingly, the U.S. military plays this sond when roast beef is served at formal dinners." (The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 118).
Grief Help: Nightmares! I don't get them too often, but I definitely had one the other night! I woke up around 2 a.m. with my heart pounding out of my chest and not feeling like I could breath! I grabbed my scriptures and went up to Rosie's room and just sat in her rocking chair, watching her sleep for a little while, while clinging to my scriptures, praying that God wouldn't take her from me! In my dream Rose fell off of a high building and I couldn't scream for someone to catch her. She didn't die immediatly but she was going too. We were trying to get to the childrens hospital and then all of a sudden her face changed into some old woman's face, signifying to me that she was mature now and that God was going to take her. We knew she was going to die, and I woke up pleading with God to not take her too. It took me a full 24 hours to be able to breath normal again and calm down! Typically I can push off weird dreams and move on, but this one hit too close to home. Having one daughter already die makes it more realistic that God could take my other daughter too. I guess the whole face change thing really stuck out to me because when I look through Ruby's pictures, the closer I get to the end of her life, she seemed so mature and wise, as if her soul was so much wiser than her tiny crippled body.
I felt like I needed to spend more time with Rose, which means everything else gets put on the back burner. So, Brian goes to work all day, and while he is at work I am fulfilling my job at home which is full time Mom. That means that lately dishes aren't done, laundry is not folded and the bills are not paid by the time Mr. B gets home. But, we have a happy 2 year old and I have been working all day on forming a relationship that hopefully will hold strong as she grows older. I guess I see now that I am not super Mom, I can't do everything! I am home to take care of my babies. I am a Mother. I love my job. The dishes can wait!

1 comment: