The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thick Porridge with Cream and Treacle



Harry ate his thick, sticky porridge while talking with Ron about his class schedule (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, ch. 8). Also, Professor Umbridge eats some porridge in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, ch. 25, while glaring at the teachers as they discuss the mass outbreak from Azkaban.
I actually woke up at 6 a.m. this morning for no particular reason. I just laid in bed for about ten minutes and then got up. I was able to take a slow morning and by 7 a.m Rose still wasn't awake so I decided to make some Porridge the Harry Potter way for breakfast. I have never made hot oatmeal this way and wasn't quite sure how it would turn out. You boil water, then then add your oats and then let it simmer for about a 1/2 hour, until all the water is boiled out of it. Then, we actually had heavy cream in our fridge so I poured a bit of that on my porridge and the recipe called for a Golden syrup to be poured on top of that. So I pulled out my corn syrup and squeezed it from the bottle to my bowl. I took my first bite and am very happy with it! I have never, in my life put syrup on top of oatmeal so this was somewhat of a nerve racking idea, but I do believe I will be pulling out the golden syrup from know on. It turns out that its not only delicious on pancakes! I also really like the flavor that the cream gives the oat meal too. Very delicious! I give this a 5. When Rose wakes up I will get to see what she thinks about it:)
In case you were wondering Treacle is a golden syrup, which can be substituted by molasses or light or dark corn syrup.
English History: "Often when we hear the word "porridge," we think of "Goldilocksw and the Three Bears," but its actually a real food that real people in the United Kingdom eat, especially the Scots, who've been eating porridge since before the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons in the fifth and sixth centuries" ("The unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 110).
Grief and Healing: It's interesting how time makes you forget faces and dates, but the heart won't let you forget the experience or the emotions. I had to break down yesterday and watch the beautiful video's of Ruby's short life. Just as to verify to my brain that my heart isn't making things up. Ruby was beautiful! I still sometimes can feel the sensation of brushing my fingers against her soft little cheeks, and how her tiny hands would wrap themselves around my finger. Sometimes I just want to wrap my arms around my chest and think for a split second that I am hugging my little girl. These are all the desires and memories of my heart and when those moments hit my brain kicks in to bring me back to reality, and thats when I hug Rose, and I see Ruby in Rose, and they both are beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. That actually sounds pretty good!

    I hope you can always remember the feeling of touching Ruby. :)

    ReplyDelete