The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Harry's First Birthday Cake: Chocolate Layer Cake




This would be considered Harry's first Birthday Cake when he turned 11. Affectionately made by Hagrid (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Ch. 4). This cake is DELICIOUS! If you are a chocolate fan this is the cake for you. Its a chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting between the layers with a chocolate glaze over the top of that...its amazing. I made this cake with Rose and it was so fun. She cracked all 3 eggs for me. Of course making Harry's Birthday cake was not just to try but lovingly made for my Mothers birthday last Wednesday. My Mom is Crazy about Harry Potter too. In fact, she only listens to Harry Potter Cd's in her car. I don't even know how many times she has read through all 7 books so I knew that she would love the cake! (She also is crazy about chocolate so it was perfect all around!)


We give this cake a 5! The fun thing about this cake is that Bucholz reminds you at the end to remember that this cake was made by Hagrid, its supposed to look Homemade. I think the cake turned out beautifully homemade!
English History: "Cocoa beans were so precious to the ancient Aztecs that they used them as money. The Spanish explorers brought the beans back to Spain in the 1500's, and from there it was only a matter of time for chocolate to catch on in the rest of Europe and for the final product to be perfected. We have the Dutch to thank for figuring out how to make chocolate and cocoa powder as we know it and the Swiss for thinking of adding milk. "
Greif Help: This week has been a bit more emotional than the last. I went to visit Ruby Wednesday morning at the cemetery and I just cried as if it was yesterday that she had passed away. Its so strange how sometimes the emotions just catch me off guard and I just fall to pieces. I went back to visit Ruby on Thursday (we pass the cemetery basically every day in our daily outings), and her name marker was in place! I was so excited. Rose and I went got out of the car to check it out. I of course just started to cry again. It just made it all seem so real again and so final. My baby Ruby no longer is an unmarked grave. Her name marker is beautiful! Its just so hard to see her name and the dates of her very short life inscribed in Granite!

No comments:

Post a Comment