The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Shepherds Pie


I know this was last weeks Valentine Main Course, but I have been a bit of a slacker. I'll blame it on life, sometimes it just gets busy! Harry ate his Shepherds Pie at dinner without much appetite. He would be spending the afternoon in detention with Professor Lockhart signing fan mail, and then finish it off by hearing a freaky voice that no one else heard. I love how Ron tells Harry in the book that it doesn't matter if your a wizard or a muggle, hearing voices is never a good thing! (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, ch. 7).
Side Note: Mr. B and I finished reading the second Harry Potter book last week and are now reading HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban. We are doing really well with getting our books read! Not to mention we both are really enjoying it!
I am not a big Shepherds Pie person, but I made this for Mr. B for our Valentine dinner kind of as a joke. His Grandpa is ALWAYS making shepherds pie. Mr. B goes to his grandparents house every week for lunch and most the time ends up with all the left overs whipped up into something with Potatoes on top. Maybe next year I will make up for the Pie and do ribs...But the pie was good! It was very easy to make and once again is a recipe where I had everything in my cupboard to make, which is always fabulous! I give this pie a 4.
English History: "Victorian housewives were delighted with the invention of the mincing machine because it helped them mince leftover roast lamb from Sunday to be used during the week in dishes such as shepherd's pie," ("The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 136.
Grief and Healing: There were two babies in my church that were born one week after Ruby. One was a girl the other a boy. It has been so heart wrenching to me and Mr. B seeing their sweet babies, and how happy they are, and watching their babies grow, while ours didn't even make it to her 1 month Birthday. I have had to avoid looking at their babies because of my fear of just breaking down in tears knowing in my heart that my Ruby should be at the same milestones their babies are at. Yesterday at church one of the babies was blessed, the little girl and she was beautiful in a fluffy off white dress. This time I couldn't help but stare at her. I was ready for the unspoken awkwardness to end between me and my friends. So after church I happened to be where that family was while they took pictures with their baby. At first I couldn't look and then as they were getting ready to go, with out thinking I just stood up, went up to the Daddy and said can I hold her. I think I took him and his Wife off guard. He handed her to me and I of course did exactly what I knew I would do. I cried. That sweet baby girl looked up at me and smiled and I hurt, and yet it was sweet all at the same time. I did a little small talk with her Mommy and then put her in her car seat, and then walked away. It was a HUGE milestone for me. I have been able to hold babies since Ruby has passed away, all babies except for this one, and I finally did it and I think that Ruby was smiling at me from up in Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I know holding that other baby girl was a huge step, I know it would have been for me. I understand what you mean about looking at other babies and thinking of your own. I lost a pregancy at 5months and there were several other people due at the same. When they had thier babies I couldn't help think of my own. Even now when I see pictures of thier babis I think about mine being the same age. I can understand your pain.

    ReplyDelete