The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentines Day!!!

I hope you all have had a wonderful day! My sweet husband got me a beautiful Ruby Angel/Heart necklace. Its so beautiful! We went to give Ruby 3 roses tonight, and then came home and had a beautiful Harry Potter themed meal (I will post them the next couple of days.) I wanted to give all of you a Valentine gift and thought I would share one of my favorite recipes! It is my "Ruby's Sugar Cookie recipe", and trust me they are AMAZING! I actually found out that I won second place these cookies from a contest I entered. I found out I won this contest the day after Ruby was born, so that is why I renamed them my "Ruby" cookies. Enjoy:)

RUBY'S SUGAR COOKIES
1 1/4 c soft butter
2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
5 c flour
2 tsp Salt
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 c Milk

-Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
-Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. If dough is sticky add flour to handle. (there is no need to chill this recipe, although I usually do unless it's an emergency.)
-Roll 1/4" thick on well-floured surface; cut.
Bake on ungreased baking sheet @ 375 degree's for 8 min., until edges just bein to brown. Cool on racks.
-Frost

Butter Cream Frosting
1 2 lb. bag powdered sugar
1 square butter (softened)
2 pinches salt
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
1/2 (or slightly less) cup warmed (in microwave) milk
-Dump all ingredients in mixer bowl.
-Add milk gradually until desired thickness.
-Color and decorate as desired:)


No comments:

Post a Comment