The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kosair Childrens Hospital-Day 1

Today was our big day! Brian made it back from his overseas trip yesterday and today we are in the hospital. The above picture is of Rosie before she went back for surgery. They had a room full of fun toys that were very entertaining for my little two year old :) They gave her some silly juice and then took her off to the OR. We didn't see her from around 2:30 til around 6 p.m. They had the nurse call us every hour and give us details and let us know that everything was going ok. It was very comforting to have that contact with them! After the surgery her surgeon came in to chat with us about how everything went. She told us that things went well. They took out the left ovary, Tumor, sists and took care of a belly button hernia. She told us that they were able to keep her left tube which will be helpful when Rosie starts her own family. The Dr. showed us a picture of the tumor they took out of her tummy and it was shocking to see how huge it was! It looked to me to be about the size of a baseball. It ended up being 6 cm at its widest point. It was so sad to think that this huge thing has been hanging out in Rosies tummy for so long! The surgeon also told us that they only find children with these type of tumors every 4 to 6 years. I guess we were just the lucky ones! I guess the greatest news of all is that the tumor was not cancerous!!! We have been so worried! I don't know if I could emotionally handle that right now!
They wheeled Rose up to her hospital room where we were able to see her for the first time since surgery. She was so sad looking and kept grabbing her belly and crying and breaking mine and Brian's hearts. I really wish that I could just take all of that pain away and make her be healed!!! She seems to be doing really well though. She has been able to keep down juice, and jello and wanted more to eat so I think that her recovery will be pretty quick! They may send us home tomorrow, but I am kind of hoping that they will keep us until Thursday, only because I think that the first 24 hours are going to be rough and it would be nice to have a nurse around to help us out!!!
I am so tired! It is time for bed now. I will let you all know how tomorrow goes! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers for my family. I truly have felt strengthened and encouraged through this highly stressful time!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that Rosie's surgery went well. And I'm glad that it was not cancer either! Now for recovery. Let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Awesome news! I'm so glad things went well.

    ReplyDelete