The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bloging Book Club-"The Countess Below Stairs" by Eva Ibbotson


I have just finished reading "The Countess below Stairs" by Eva Ibbotson, and loved it! The book started out a little slow to me but the author had to do a lot of back tracking before the actual story could begin.
Because of the wars and contentions going on in Russia, during WWI, a Russian Countess "Anna" and her family fled their country and unfortunately in the process lost all their riches to a maid who took off with their jewels. Thus, Anna was forced to seek out employment to keep her family from going hungry. She sought out employment as a house maid in the estate of an Earl who is just getting home from war and his estate is in financial peril. One thing led to another and soon Anna and the Earl "Rupert" find themselves at a crossroads of Love...Does he choose Anna, or the woman he is engaged to? I guess you will just have to read the book to find out.
This book kept my attention and I was very sad to read the last page and realize that there is not a sequel. Please feel free to tell me which character you end up having a book crush on, either the Earl of Westerholme or Anna's drop dead gorgeous cousin...I think I was definitely leaning towards the cousin. (Only because he reminded me of my drop dead gorgeous Husband! :)
I have just started reading "Beauty" by Robin McKinley for my next Bloging Book Club entry. It is a retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast and so far I am enjoying it. If either of these books sound intriguing to you be sure to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment