The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Potty Training, Attempt #2: Day 1


I woke up this morning with the crazy desire to attempt to potty train my 2 1/2 year old. This is the second attempt. I tried a few weeks ago, for about 1 1/2 days and then called it quits. This has to be up there on my list of "Things I don't want to deal with as a Mother but eventually the day will come when I can no longer avoid the issue."
For success this time around my goals are:
#1-I will not give up...diapers are a thing of the past!
#2-Positive reinforcement:
-Cheering when she actually uses the potty. Stickers when she tries, a M&M if she pee's and
also a penny to put in her piggy bank to use later on the Penny Pony Ride at Meijer (thank-you
Meijer for having a cheep fun ride!) If she poop's then she gets double the reward.
#3-She gets to wear Minnie Mouse panties that she picked out from Wal-Marts great pantie
selection.
#4-We are borrowing Sesame Streets Potty Movie with Elmo. I'm hoping it will inspire her.
#5-We are using a timer and every 10 min. she sits on the potty.
#6-Never let her sippy cup run dry. Juice, Juice Juice. Keep the girl very well hydrated so we will have success on the toilet.

Today's Potty Training Milestones:
1-She went potty twice in the toilet. Hooray!
2-She then went potty twice in her panties. One happened while I was making lunch, it was slightly my fault for not paying full attention. Of course after that accident I put her in a diaper so that I could get lunch made without any more interruptions.
3-Diaper malfunction-yes, I put her IN a diaper but did it work?... No, it did not. 5 minutes after cleaning up her previous potty mess she runs to me saying "Potty" and sure enough she had pottied even more than the first one, and her diaper for some reason just let it all seep out on the floor again. What did I do? I had to laugh, it was that or pull all of my hair out and scream "I Quit."

Good Advice I received:
-If you truly need a break or if you are going out somewhere and just don't want to deal with an accident, putting on a diaper is OK. When you get your cool back and are ready to take on the potty training task again then put the panties back on and get back to it.

Why Potty Training is Driving me Bonkers:
-I like to think of myself and my home as a clean, germ free place. And the very, very, very most frustrating thing is that there is pee suddenly on all of my clean places, which means time and energy that I have to muster up from somewhere to get it all cleaned again. Rose's surgeon told me that urine is clean and even though I don't fully agree with that I have to keep reminding myself about that comment as I run Rose to the bathroom, Both of us covered in her Urine ...Erk, I hate potty training :) I have to sing the Elmo potty song "Accidents Happen" just to make it through the moment.

"I will not give up, I will not give up, I will not give up..." I would love any advice of course because I obviously have no idea what a can of worms I am opening up with my potty training goal!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh potty training, how we love you! You're much more ambitious than I am though! I waited until Houston was TOTALLY ready to do it on his own (1 day after his 3rd birthday), and BAM! It took him 1 whole day to learn with only 1 accident. I'm definitely a waiter...as much as I HATE diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper was potty trained in 3 days. I did many of the same things you are doing, so I think it is possible! Also, positive reinforcement is a must! It sounds like you are doing a great job. I would also suggest encouraging her to tell you when she needs to go. Saying things like, "Make sure you tell Mommy if you need to go potty" really helped Cooper, and it made him feel like HE was the one in charge. Plus I said it to him many, MANY times during the day. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete