The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook and Cooking through My Grief

Taking it one recipe at a time. 2013 will be mainly focused on "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook," by Dinah Bucholz, and how doing what I love, cooking, being with my family and reading Harry Potter will help me process my grief associated with loosing my 3 week old daughter, Ruby, on November 18th, 2011.
Join me for a "culinary magical masterpiece" throughout 2013!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Crispy Fried Bacon




As I am sure is obvious, I am not quite back into the cooking mood yet and this week was able to accomplish one cooking adventure from Harry Potter. Yes, I cooked bacon. (I know, its a bit pathetic of me, but its now Saturday and I'm just in the chillin mood not in the cook up a storm kind of mood.) Bacon shows up on Harry's breakfast plate the morning before taking on the dragons in the Triwizard tournament. (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, C. 20)
I cooked up this bacon to go with some homemade french toast I was craving. I decided to cook the bacon on top of the stove in a pan instead of in the microwave or oven, regretted that decision instantly! Everything including me was covered with grease splatter and my house filled with a thick bacon smoke. In a normal situation this would have been fine, because I truly do enjoy the smell of cooked bacon, but the french toast was not cooking up well. The bread kept ripping and tearing and finally I just threw my hands up and told Mr. B that we were going to Fazoli's for dinner. The bacon ended up being our appetizer:) Bacon of course is given a score of 5, you can't go wrong with bacon:)
English History: "The British were much luckier than their contemporaries in other countries. In bad times, they had more food to eat than did the rest of Europe. Bacon was available even when a depression hit the country some 700 years ago. By the 1800's the lower classes were eating bacon almost every day for breakfast." ("The unofficial harry Potter Cookbook," Bucholz, pg. 112)
Greif and Healing: This week I have found that I don't think about Ruby every second of everyday like before. I can walk through the day and get things accomplished and then I lay down at night and my mind starts to replay Ruby. I become consumed with thoughts of her and toss and turn until I can finally fall into a deep sleep. The hard thing about these thoughts is that the parts of Ruby's life I am remembering are the parts when she is at her sickest dieing. I also think about everything I wish I could go back and change the moments I shared with her to be perfect ones. I have to remind myself that it is in the past, it happened and Ruby still loves me. I also have to remind myself that I had just given birth and was truly exhausted and living off of pure adrenaline most of her life. I'm sure this phase of memories will pass, but its been a bit hard to want to go to bed this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment